Saturday, January 14, 2006

Austin

I'm back in Austin. Finally. I moved in last Friday, and I've been spending the past week getting settled in. My apartment is nice, but the area is just as ghetto as the neighborhood I moved from in Dallas.

My Dad actually paid $100 for 2 men to help us move everything up to the 2nd floor. He was glad he spent the money, so that means it was WELL worth the $100 to not have to drag a washer, dryer, sectional couch, dresser, mattress, and heavy boxes up a flight of stairs. Those guys were a HUGE help. Yay for craigslist for helping me find someone cheaper than the moving companies!

I've been setting all of my stuff up and getting my apartment organized this week. I bought an IKEA TV stand used for $20 and two AWESOME paintings for $20. Again, yay for craigslist!

On Wednesday, I went out job-hunting. I put in an application at one Tex-Mex restaurant, and I still haven't heard from them. However, I went to a nice deli that had an ad in the paper and I was hired on the spot! The manager kept commenting on my smile and telling me I seemed intelligent, so he offered me the job in the first 5 minutes we spoke.

I started that job today. The money isn't huge, but I will get a share of the tips from the servers. It was a little hectic around lunchtime, but they said Saturday is their busiest day. So far, so good. Some of the servers seem pretty cool; some seem like jackasses. Thankfully, the one that really struck me as an asshole is leaving this week to go drive a truck. Genius. The owner is a dork and his parents showed up to 'help' today. They are a little pushy, but seem like nice people. The girl that trained me is really fun- unfortunately, she's leaving to go work at a bank.

I think I did pretty well. At least I didn't get fired, like one girl! Today was her first day training as a server. She called 20 minutes after she was supposed to be there and said she was running late. No, really? Then around 2 she kinda ran out the front door, telling one of the hosts she got fired. Apparently she didn't impress anyone with her serving skills either. So I guess I'm doing alright! The manager who hired me told me I seemed to be doing a good job. Yay!

I go back tomorrow morning, so we'll see how that goes once I'm settling in a little bit. Tomorrow I'm supposed to try some of the food. I'll let you all know how the deli is. And if anyone comes to Austin, be sure to come to my restaurant, Manny Hattan's, and tip generously!!

1 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do y'all serve hot pastrami sandwiches there? Because that sounds really good right now...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home